“The metaphor is so obvious. Easter Island isolated in the Pacific Ocean — once the island got into trouble, there was no way they could get free. There was no other people from whom they could get help. In the same way that we on Planet Earth, if we ruin our own world, we won't be able to get help.”


Saturday 7 January 2012

The Moai Statues' Opinion on Easter's Collapse





I found this cartoon online on the moai statues and what they think 'happened to Easter Island'. I thought that one of the little quotes on there was quite interesting/amusing and relevant to the past few posts I have made over the lessons that today's society can learn from Easter Island's society:


"Lunacy is repeating the same actions, yet expecting different results"


Is today's society lunatic for repeating the same actions that past civilisations such as Easter Island have made, expecting that we won't meet the same fate as them? Are we lunatics for thinking that we can deplete our resources or expand our population beyond its limits, and not expect to collapse in the same way Easter did?


"Can we frighten ourselves back from oblivion?"


 I'll leave that one for you to decide....

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do research on Rapa Nui and I just stumbled upon your site. I like the way you are sharing your thought process with the world! I enjoyed reading your summaries of the articles and even though you are finished with this blog, I couldn't help it, I had to comment on this cartoon.

    I know it's just a cartoon, but I can't enjoy it when right off the bat it represents Rapa Nui inappropriately with both the images and words. The moai were never facing out towards the sea, nor have I read of an interpretation where they were meant to scare away invaders. It also gives the impression that Rapa Nui is a deserted island, a common misconception by most people that are not familiar with the island. Cartoons like this make me very frustrated :)

    ReplyDelete